In American roulette game, the action comes in the form of different types of bets that players make on what outcome the ball will drop into on a given spin. The betting table is shown in figure 6-3. The roulette table is just that, a table, with 3 columns and 12 rows.
Making an Outside Bet
The core of the roulette board contains the numbers 1 through 36, organized in 12 rows of 3 numbers each plus 0 and 00 on top. On the edges of the table are places for outside bets. You can place an outside bet on a group of numbers or on some binding characteristic of the numbers. All outside best lose if the ball drops on 0 or 00.
Here are a few different types of outside bets that you can typically make in a casino:
- Red-Black: A vet that winning number will be of the colour you bet on. This bet pays 1:1.
- Odd-Even: A bet that the winning number will be either odd or even. This bet pays 1:1.
- Low-High: A bet that the winning number will fall in the range of lower numbers (1-18) or the range of the higher numbers (19-36). This bet pays 1:1.
- Columns: A bet on the 12 numbers contained in any one the three long columns on the layout. At the end of these columns, you find the places where you can place your chips. This bet pays 2:1.
- Dozens: A bet on either the first dozen numbers (1-12), the second dozen (13-24), or the third dozen (25-36). This bet pays 2:1.
Making an Inside Bet
You place inside bets on specific numbers or combinations of numbers either within the number layout or on borders.
Here are a few different types of inside bets that you can typically make in a casino:
- Straight Bet: A bet made on a single number. You place this bet by putting your chips on the number you want. This bet pays 35:1.
- Split Bet: A bet made on any two numbers that sit next to each other on the table. To place this bet, you put your chips on the line separating the two numbers. If one of the two numbers comes up on the spin, you win. This bet pays 17:1.
- Street Bet: A bet that covers three numbers in a row. You place this bet by putting your chips on the outside line of the row you want to wager on. This bet pays 11:1.
- Corner Bet: A bet you make on four adjoining numbers that form a square on the table. This bet pays 8:1.